The C-NRPP Mitigation Mentorship Program was developed to provide support for practical aspects of the information covered during the C-NRPP Mitigation Course, and will extend the learning environment by connecting participants with an experienced mitigation professional, through a distanced-based relationship, while they walk through the steps involved in a radon mitigation system installation.
This process was developed with the intention that it would be conducted as a distance-based process, but arrangements can be made to meet with a mentor to be onsite. In order to qualify for certification, they mentee will need to complete all the forms in the mentorship process
– To reinforce the practical aspects covered during the radon mitigation course
– To provide a list of mentors for course participants
– To provide a review process; wherein an experienced mitigation professional may provide insight and experience
– To provide a relationship with a contact for future questions, if arranged
Mentoring is a professional relationship in which an experienced person (the mentor) assists another (the mentee) in developing specific skills and knowledge. The C-NRPP Mitigation Mentorship Program is meant to provide a mentee with access to insight and feedback from a mentor during the installation of a residential radon mitigation system by providing a mentee the chance to walk through a residential mitigation installation independently, but with an experienced professional available for technical assistance during the process and to review the process after completion and provide insight and tips.
The mentorship process should reinforce information learned during the course, but in a situation where the mentee must make the decisions and perform the tasks independently. The process should provide support to a mentee while they make decisions regarding key areas encountered during typical mitigations. It will also include some insight into aspects such as health and safety, trouble-shooting and decision making through a mentor sharing experiences.
• Commit to self-development
• Assume responsibility for acquiring or improving skills and knowledge
• Have completed the C-NRPP Measurement Course
• Have completed the C-NRPP Mitigation Course and understand basic minimum standards and best practices for installing a mitigation system.
• Discuss their individual situation with their mentor
• Be open and honest about the site, including challenges and concerns
• Listen actively and ask questions
• Seek advice, opinions, feedback, and direction from his/her mentor
• Be open to and ask for constructive criticism/feedback
• Respect the mentor’s time and resources
• Stay accessible, committed, and engaged during the length of the mentorship and complete all exercises
• Respectfully give feedback to the mentor on what is working or not working in the mentoring relationship
• Be respected as an experienced and successful professional in the C-NRPP program
• Have been mentored themselves/ passed the mentorship test (Mentorship Tests involves going through the process of being a mentor with a rep from C-NRPP acting as the mentee).
• Have experience installing radon mitigation systems in at least 15 homes and have been certified for a period of at least 2 years and gone through one renewal process with C-NRPP
• Have experience with a variety of scenarios and at least 6 different challenging situations which were successfully resolved, including at least 3 situations with high flow and 3 situations with high suction
• Support C-NRPP’s mission, vision, and goals
• Stay accessible, committed, and engaged during the length of the mentorship process
• Listen well
• Be comfortable reviewing documents and providing insight and sharing experiences from a distance in a timely manner
• Offer encouragement through genuine positive reinforcement
• Be a positive role model
• Share “lessons learned” from their own experiences
• Be a resource and a sounding board for the mentee